Fall 2010 Diversity College Visits.
Fall 2010 Diversity College Visits
This is a list of the many colleges that host diversity college visits for high school seniors this fall. Thanks to Johanna Villanueva, U Penn. Class of2015, a first generation college goer for researching this list as well as Latinos in College for some of the college names. The second is a list of open houses at diversity friendly colleges with no travel funds available.
*(D)= A diversity weekend that covers all costs for all students who are accepted. These programs are competitive and require applications.
(D) (TG) = A diversity weekend that can offer travel grants for some students.
(TG)= Traditional Weekends with some travel grants available.
You can go to getmetocollege.org/hs and see a expanded list that also includes open houses at schools friendly to diverse students but which do not offer funded or specialized weekends.
Program: Diversity Open-house Weekend
- Two Weekends Available. September 25-27, 2010 & October 23-25, 2010
- Application deadlines: Priority- August 2. Regular- August 20.
- To get application: email Dale Hendricks, Associate Dean of Admission/Director of Diversity Outreach
- email@example.com; 413-542-2328
- For more information, visit https://www.amherst.edu/admission/diversity/divoh
New York, New York, All Women’s College
Program: Barnard Bound, Oct 24-25
- Application deadline: September 28th
- Students must be nominated
- For more info/To get application: contact Rebeca Palacio
- firstname.lastname@example.org/212 854 2014
- Please call Rebeca for questions on travel aid.
Program: Prologue to Bates: Two Weekends available
- Application deadline: September 10 for October 10-12 Visit.
- Application deadline: October 8 for November 14-16 Visit.
- To get application: email Luis C. Martinez, Assistant Dean of Admissions for application
- email@example.com; 207-786-6000
- Scholarships are offered to students who need travel assistance.
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, All Women’s College
Program: Fall Preview, Oct 23 and Nov 13
- Application Deadline: September 23 for both Fall Preview and Travel Scholarship
- Contact: Ms. Nate Hall; firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more info: http://www.brynmawr.edu/admissions/fpd_travel.shtml
Program: Across Extremes/Issues of the 21st Century
- A free Conference for HS seniors, Oct 21-23
- For more info: http://www.bucknell.edu/x21409.xml
- To register: http://www.bucknell.edu/x21411.xml
- Travel aid may be offered upon request.
Carnegie Mellon University-(D) (TG)
Program: Celebration of Diversity Weekend (Nov 13-15)
- Requirements: have at least a 3.3 GPA on an unweighted 4.0 scale and at least a combined SAT score of 1700 or ACT score of 25.
- Registration Deadline is Oct 28.Registration will be available online mid Sept: http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/register.html
- Note: There is a fee of $50 when registering. If you believe you qualify for a fee waiver, contact the admissions office and ask to speak to the event’s coordinator: (412) 268-2082
- Students with financial need: You may qualify for travel assistance, if you meet the requirements. Please indicate your need for travel assistance when registering.
- Visit http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/travel.html for further conditions for receiving travel assistance.
- Contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions or visit http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/admission/cod/index.html
University of Chicago-(TG)
Program: Overnight Visits
- Available only to HS seniors. Thursday of Fridays in Oct, Nov, Jan, and Feb.
- Recommended: make reservations three weeks in advance and before you make travel arrangements: 773-702-8650.
- For more info and to fill out an overnight waiver: http://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/visiting/campusvisits/overnights.shtml
Colgate University-(D) (TG)
Hamilton, New York
Program: Multicultural Open house (Oct 24-25)
- Application must be received no later than Oct 6
- You can find the application here: http://offices.colgate.edu/admission/Open%20House/Open%20House%20Application%202010.htm and you will be notified of your admission to the event by Oct 13 via email.
- Space is limited and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply ASAP.
- If you have any questions, visit http://www.colgate.edu/admission/diversityandadmission/openhouse or contact the Office of Admission at (315) 228-7401 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
- Travel assistance available for a limited number of students who demonstrate need. Indicate need on application. If you have any further questions regarding travel assistance, contact the ALANA Cultural Center at 315 228 7330
Colorado College- (*D)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Program: Multicultural Open House, November 6-8
- Application Deadline: Oct 11
- Application can be found here, https://coloradocollege.edu.185r.net/survey/?c=&id=252
- If you are accepted to attend the event, Colorado College will pay your transportation expenses (airfare or mileage or gas) up to $500. If you travel with one or both of your parents, we offer an additional subsidy, of up to $500, for their transportation expenses and provide complimentary accommodations at a nearby hotel.
- If you have any questions, please contact Anna Jaquez, Assistant Director of Admission at: (719) 389-6944 or Carlos Jimenez, Assistant Director of Admission at: (719) 389-6054.
- For more info, visit http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/visiting/MulticulturalOpenHouse.asp
New London, Connecticut
Program: Explorer Weekend Nov 6-8
- You can find the application here: http://conncoll.edu/admission/adm_explore.htm on the Explore 2010 Brochure
- Deadline is Oct 8
- For more info, contact: Djiara Meehan, Associate Director of Admission and Coordinator of Multicultural Admissions
- Office of Admission Tel: 888-553-8760; email: Djiara.Meehan@conncoll.edu
- Contact Dijara also regarding travel assistance. Aid is limited, so call ASAP.
George Washington University-(D) (TG)
Program: Multicultural Open Houses (Oct 28 & 29)
- To register, visit: https://gwapplication.gwu.edu/login/login.cfm and create an account, then RSVP to this event.
- If you require travel assistance, please indicate the need when registering. There is a limited number of travel assistance scholarships.
- For more information, visit: http://www.gwu.edu/apply/undergraduateadmissions/visitgw/openhousesevents/multiculturalopenhouses
Program: Diversity Preview Program, Oct 28-30
- Application Deadline: Sept 24
- For more info and for the application, visit http://www.grinnell.edu/admissionvisit/gdlp
- OR call the Office of Admission at 800-247-0113 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.(central).
Clinton, New York
Program: Diversity Overnight (Oct 10-11, Nov 7-8)
- Prospective seniors can apply in the beginning of their fall semester by completing the application, which will be available later this month.
- Contact AssociateDean of Students for Diversity and Accessibility; 315-859-4021
- email Kyra Young regarding travel aid firstname.lastname@example.org
Harvey Mudd College-(TG)
Program: Future Achievers of Science and Technology, Sept 10-11
- Deadline August 16
- For more information, visit: http://www.hmc.edu/admission1/fastprogram/fast1/fallfast.html
Illinois Wesleyan University-(D) (TG)
Program: Fall Multicultural, Dates TBD (Thurs-Sat)
- Call Kahair early Sept after Labor day for registration and financial aid for travel: 309 556 1044
- Program: Faculty Open House days, Oct 11 & Nov 13
- Call admissions office to set up your campus visit at 1-800-332-2498 For more information and to register, visit http://iwu.edu/admissions/visit/openhouse.shtml
Program: Crash the Campus, Nov 14-15
- Application found online: http://kzoo.edu/admission/Crash2010Application.pdf
- Deadline to submit application is Oct25. Send application via email (Hillary.email@example.com) or fax (269-337-7390).
- At least half of your travel costs will be subsidized. If you would like to be considered for a full travel subsidy, please have your counselor give you a copy of a college application fee waiver (from NACAC, ACT or similar source), which will then be applied to your Kalamazoo College application.
- For more info, visit http://kzoo.edu/admission/?p=crash
Kenyon College-(D) (TG)
Program: Cultural Connections, Nov 13-15
- To register, call 800 848 2468 (ask for Kim Totman)
- Deadline is Nov 3. Register ASAP. Space is limited.
- Also, check out Kenyon’s Trustee Opportunity Travel grant for financial aid: http://www.kenyon.edu/x1697.xml
- Call Kim if you have any questions about this program as well.
Lafayette University (D)
Program: Multicultural visit day, Nov 10- 8:30am-5pm
- No deadline
- For more information and to register, visit http://calendar.lafayette.edu/node/221
Lehigh University (*D)
- Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Invitation only. Submit your info now.
Program: Diversity Achievers Program (DAP), Oct 24 and 25
- Application Deadline is Wed, Sept 22.
- Students must be invited to the event.
- If you are not on the university’s mailing list already, please join it by submitting your info here: http://www4.lehigh.edu/admissions/undergrad/mail
- There is no guarantee that you will be invited. Invitations will be mailed soon with links to downloadable forms that must be completed.
- Required Items to submit:
- DAP Application
- (Unofficial) transcript
- SAT/ACT results
- Personal Essay (option to submit it in the online application): Describe how you plan to contribute to a diverse campus community
- Counselor Evaluation
- Overnight Agreement
- Student Response Form
http://www4.lehigh.edu/admissions/undergrad/visit/dap.aspx or call (610) 758-3102.
Program: Discover Middlebury (Multicultural Weekend), Oct 24-26
- Application Deadline is Sept 17.
- Application can be found here: http://www.middlebury.edu/admissions/visit/programs/discomiddapp
- If you have any questions, please call 802-443-3000 or visit http://www.middlebury.edu/admissions/visit/programs
Mt. Holyoke College-*(D)
South Hadley, Massachusetts, All Women’s College
Program: Focus on Diversity (Nov 7-8)
- Please register here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/admission/diversity_registration.html
- You can also register for Transportation to the event at: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/admission/diversity_registration.html
- For more information, visit http://www.mtholyoke.edu/admission/diversity.html or contact the Admissions Office at 413 538 2023
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill- D (TG?)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Program: Hispanic/Latino Student Recruitment Day, Oct 15-17
- For more information, visit http://www.unc.edu/diversity/prospective/hispanicrecruitmentweekend.html in early Sept. No information is yet posted.
- Please contact the Multicultural Programs Coordinator Josmell Perez, B.A. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 919-843-5517
Oberlin College and Conservatory-*(D)
- Program: Multicultural Visit Program, Oct 7-9 ( SAT date), Nov 11-13, & Dec 2-4 (SAT date)
- Must be a student of color, interested in a liberal arts Education
- Application is due
- Sept 10 for Oct dates
- Oct 15 for Nov dates
- Nov 5 for Dec dates
- The application consists of multiple parts:
- The application form, which can be found here: https://hera.cc.oberlin.edu/coladm/mvp/app.html
- Completed and signed Counselor Form
- High School Transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- SAT / ACT / PSAT Scores
- Statement of Financial Responsibility
- For more information, visit http://www.oberlin.edu/admissions/mvp/index.shtml or contact 800-622-OBIE (6243)8:30am – 5pm EST
University of Puget Sound-(TG)
Program: Fall Campus Day, Sept 25
- Visit this page for more on campus visits http://www.pugetsound.edu/admission/visit/ .
- To arrange your visit and to register, just look for the date you want to come on this page http://em.422x.com/PugetSound/Admission/
- Travel aid offered upon request. Please call admissions office. 253.879.3211 or 800.396.7191.
Program: MSAP Weekend, Oct 1-4 and Nov 12-15
- Application Deadlines: for Oct. 1-4–Sept 8
- Application Deadlines for November 12-15–Oct 12
- To access application, email Aurora Ignacio at Aurora.Ignacio@pomona.edu
Program: Multicultural Scholars Preview Days (November11-13)
- Application Deadline: Oct 1
- You can find the application form at http://www.reed.edu/apply/mspd/how.html
- You must also turn in:
- Essay Please write an essay on your desire to attend Reed College’s Multicultural Scholar Preview Days and attach it to your application (250 words minimum).
- High School Transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
- SAT, ACT or PSAT Scores
- If you have any questions, call 1-800-547-4750
St. Ambrose University-(TG)
Program: Overnight Visits, Sept 26-27, Oct 24-25, Nov 14-15
- Registration has not opened online. You can register either via online of contacting admissions office in early Sept.
- Admissions office: 563-333-6000
- Program: Fall Open House (Oct 11, 23, 29, Nov 12, 19)
- Online registration available online starting in Sept.
- For more information about visiting the campus, contact Vicki Hruby, our campus visit coordinator, 800/383-2627 or 563/333-6300.
- Travel aid offered upon request. Please contact Vicki Hruby.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute-(BUS TG)
Program: Science, Technology, Arts at Rensselaer (STAR), Oct 28-30
- Apply to this program here: https://apply.rpi.edu/register/?id=ba4b1d0f552f44ad95f0a14e75d6f308
- For more info (travel, etc), visit http://admissions.rpi.edu/STAR/or call the Admissions Office at (518) 276-6216
- NOFLY INS. Only bus transportation.
Claremont, California, All Women’s College
Program: Multicultural Outreach: Discover Scripps, Sept 26-27
- Deadline to submit online application is September 1.
- Link to application: https://scrippscollege.edu.185r.net/survey/index.php?time=2009-09-21%2009:00:00&filter=&id=124&timeID=151
- Travel Grants are available for students who live more than 150 miles away and who need financial assistance getting to campus. Indicate need for travel assistance on application.
- For more info, visit
Northampton, Massachusetts, All Women’s College
Program: Women of Distinction, Nov 12-14
- Application must be received by Sept24. Applicants will be notified in writing Oct 8.
- Application can be downloaded here: http://www.smith.edu/admission/wod/download.php
- For more information, visit http://www.smith.edu/admission/wod/
Program: Discover Swarthmore! Oct 2-4.
- Note: Applications for this program will be accepted until Friday, Aug 20.
- Follow this link to the http://www.swarthmore.edu/admissions/discovery_app.phpand apply ASAP.
- For more information about this event, visit http://www.swarthmore.edu/x6252.xml.
- School will cover all expenses of students invited to the event.
Tufts University-(D) (TG)
Program: Voices of Tufts: The Diversity Experience, Oct 28th -29th
- Registration will be available in early September.
- For more info and to register, visit: http://admissions.tufts.edu/?pid=168&c=180
- If you have any questions and for travel assistance info, please call 617 627 3170
Program: Diverse VU, November 2010-(D) (Some TG)
- Registration for this event will be open in Fall of 2010.
- Please visit http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/diverse-admissions-program.php for more info and for registration
- The university has a Travel reimbursement program. There is only a $200 reimbursement. Please contact Brandi Smith for the form and any questions regarding this program. Email: email@example.com
University of Vermont-(TG)
Program: Discovering UVM, October10–12, October 24–26, & November 7–9
Deadline for application:
- Sept 25 for Oct 10
- Oct 9 for Oct 24
- Oct 25 for Nov 7
Application consists of:
- Parental Consent form
- High school transcript signed by guidance counselor
- Recommendation from guidance counselor or teacher
- Travel Grant, if applying for one
- Completed Application
- You can apply for a travel grant in the form for the application.
- If you have any questions, contact John Austin at 802-656-2915
- Or email: John.Austin@uvm.edu
- You can find the application here: http://www.uvm.edu/admissions/undergraduate/visiting/?Page=discover.html
- Application must be mailed to:
University of Vermont, Office of Admissions
194 South Prospect St Burlington, Vermont 05401
Washington & Lee University-(D) (Group TG)
- Email Erin Hutchinson for information on Multicultural events in the fall: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fly-ins only available for groups of minority, low-income students, not individual.
Program: Fall Open House Oct 11, Nov 11
- Visit http://wesleyan.edu/admission/visiting_campus/open_house.htmlfor more info.
- Make sure to look into the Transportation Assistance Program for travel aid (only for Open House) http://wesleyan.edu/admission/visiting_campus/travel_assistance.html
- If you have questions about the Transportation Assistance Program, please email@example.com
- Program: Overnight Stays
- Program operates mid-September through the beginning of December, Sun- Thurs.
- To arrange your visit, call Loreen Carta at (860) 685-2974 or Laura McQueeney at(860) 685-2972. For more info, go to http://wesleyan.edu/admission/visiting_campus/overnight_stays.html
Walla Walla, Washington
Program: Scholarship Program, Oct 7-8 & Nov 11-12
- Application Deadline: for Oct 7-8–Sept17
- Application Deadline for November11-12–Oct 8
- The application is available here: http://www.whitman.edu/content/admission/visiting/vsp/vsp_app
- Limited event: approximately 85 students each date
- For more info, contact Alana Kaholokula- 877-462-9448 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Program: Windows on Williams
- Application deadline: August 20 for two possible weekends: September 30-October 2 and October 21-October 23
- To get application, email Sarah Varno, Office of Admission, for application: email@example.com
- You must mail application with transcript-unofficial is okay. Or you can fax it.