1) Teacher selection process
- Many colleges ask you to submit one or two letters of recommendation from teachers. Prioritize your top and your second choices as you will have to rank them on the common application.
- Colleges prefer teachers who have known you most recently-ideally an 11th grade teacher or a teacher who has had you more than once.
- They want teachers from core area-English, Social Studies, Science, Math and Foreign Language. Special schools will want extra letters from arts teachers.
- Choose teachers who know you the best in terms of academic work, intellectual potential, and class participation. Also choose teachers who are known to write great letters and submit all materials on time.
- ASK TEACHERS AS SOON AS YOU CAN SENIOR YEAR!!! You can even ask the end of junior year and track any junior teachers who leave the school.
2) College Counselor selection process
- Many colleges want a high school counselor to write a letter.
- Find out how your school assigns the counselor who writes this letter.
- Once you determine this counselor, go speak with him or her as often as possible.
- Develop a list of your colleges, recommendation requirements, and deadlines.
- Ask your school and teachers their requirements for recommendations.
- Give teachers and counselors at least one month to write letters.
- Remind them a week before and/or before the Christmas holidays.
4) Brag Sheets and other materials to give teachers and counselors
- Submit a cover letter with your list of colleges and deadlines thanking the teachers and counselors in advance for agreeing to write the recommendations.
- Fill out any brag sheet teachers or counselors ask you to complete with great focus and many details as many counselors will not know you that well.
- Use this opportunity to also mention any qualities, details, class remembrances or pertinent facts that need to be included in the letter or letters.
- Provide everyone with a copy of your résumé. Mention in your letter that this copy is strictly for their usage and should not be mailed with the letter of recommendation.
5) Submission Types
- Some colleges want you to submit all your paperwork online and some still use paper versions.
- Some of your teachers and counselors may be stubborn about submitting online so you may have to find paper versions. But really encourage them to do them online. It is so much easier as you only need to enter their email addresses and teachers submit everything online.
- Pros of online submissions-Teachers and counselors only write one letter.
- Cons of online submissions-Teachers and counselors only write one letter which means that they do not tailor it for different colleges.
6) Online Submission Process
- All schools on the common application accept online teacher letters.
- You need to enter your teachers’ and counselors email addresses so find out the ones that they will check regularly.
- Make sure your teachers and counselors receive the email request from the common application.
- If your school uses Naviance, sign the waiver to allow everyone to submit the forms.
- You can check on the common application and on many college websites when letters are submitted.
7) Paper Submissions
- Submit your list of colleges and all due dates.
- Include your cover letters and supporting materials.
- Provide the teacher with the necessary form and instructions attached to your letter. Be sure to fill-out all information listed on the form that the student is required to complete. If the school provides no form, mention to the teacher in the letter that no specific form is used and to please create his or her own recommendation.
- Provide a stamped and addressed envelope for each college. Put the school’s address as your return address.
- Provide a self-addressed, stamped postcard that you insert into the college envelope that you have provided for the teacher. The postcard says, “Dear (Your Name), (Name of College) has received your recommendation from (Name of Teacher).” The college will know to send you the postcard as soon as the recommendation arrives.
8) Additional Letters
- Select extra letters very carefully. Do not overwhelm a school.
- Select a person who knows your leadership and initiative and covers an area you feel your application does not cover fully. They should know you personally.
- Some schools state they will take extra letters. Dartmouth takes a peer letter. Stanford takes one extra letter. Arts supplements take extra letters.
9) Little Extras
- Give your teachers and counselors a thank you note and perhaps a gift card to Starbucks, iTunes, or Amazon.
Thanks, Very useful resource!!
I am an student and i am willing to write some part of this post to my university blog,can i do so.Also just require your permit just mail me if you are happy about it. i believe this post will be helpful for the info i am wanting to publish.
Yes. You’re welcome to post as long as you credit us.
This article is very interesting, I like it. I will always come to visit after.
I really enjoy the information on this blog. I came across it while searching on Yahoo
^_^ cool blog man
Great point, I’d like to subscribe, but I can’t find the RSS button, what gives?
Good to get visiting your weblog once again, it has been months for me. Properly this posting that i’ve been waited for so extensive. I need this article to full my assignment within the college, and it has same topic together with your post. Thanks, wonderful share.private private student loans
Great information. Thanks a lot!
Lastly an outstanding blog post related to the subject, continue the good work and also I wish to learn far more within you in the future.
great blog thank you
This is often a good blog site which aids me to obtain much more information to the topic. I will bookmark it!
Hi there may I use some of the information here in this post if I provide a link back to your site?finance calculator
Recently I’ve been contemplating about heading back to school because of the state of our nation. After visiting various school blogs. I’ve came to a conclusion! I’m going back, thought I let everyone know even though you may not care…lol
Hi from California! I found that really interesting. Thanks for the information. I will be back to look for more updates very soon.
Just wanted to comment and say that I really like your blog layout and the way you write too. It’s very refreshing to see a blogger like you.. keep it up
Fantastic! I’ve been hunting for this all week. I really wish there was more info about this. Greatly appreciated
Thank you for your nice post i really enjoy to visit this type of post.I feel very happy while im entering your post.Thank u for your nice comments..
What a blogpost!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such blog posts!! Do you have a twitter?
I recommended it on stumbleupon. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of color. Anyway thank you for this information.
Make sure your resume outlines the main qualifications that you DO have which can contribute to the new job. Get creative – but don’t lie. There are a lot of transferable skills that fit no matter what job you have. Check out the link below and it will give you some great ideas.
Thanks guys. It’s nice to see someone taking the time to help others out without profit being their driving force. Keep it up! Your guide is really clear
I enjoy your blog – nice job!
Your blog is awesome. Thank you so much for giving plenty of awesome content. I have bookmark your blog siteand will be without doubt coming back. Once again, I appreciate all your work and also providing a lot vital concepts for your readers.
I follow your blog for quite a extended time and ought to tell that your articles always prove to be of a high value and high quality for readers.
Hello you cos I so much like your unique blog, I would feel very honored if you would want me to blog a site review about your amazing website on my small would you say yes please? Stock Ticker is my main interest.
I really enjoy the information on this blog. I came across it while searching on Yahoo
Cool, have not been able to find the information I was looking for before now, thanks to the blog owners for this master piece work…
I am definitely bookmarking it as well as sharing it with my friends
Many thanks very much for the information. I’ve been looking for this for a while with Bing and it has been a true chore.
I loved your article post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.
I’ll be back again, thanks for the info.
Nice post its quite useful, i have just started my own similar website and will look for more updates
Interesting layout on your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.
Verno, it is with great pleasure that I realize my opinions will always be expressed on this site without even having to post at all. If only we had more true capitalist-minded folks in this “great” state of New York, so many people would not continue to leave the state each year in search of residence in a state whose leadership posesses some common sense.
Hey all super article for Get Me To College — For High School CollegeboundsLetters of Recommendation-Teachers and Counselors lwtuxnaflqropc.
would it be probable to translate your web site into spanish because i have complications of speaking to english, along with seeing that there are not many pictures on your website i would like to read more of what you are writting
I found this info is very helpful. Thank you for sharing. Would you mind whether we mention a few sentences from this article in our website if it’s disclosed you for the source and links back to your site? Thanks!
Hi! I saw your blog at Google ws sign and have learned a lot from it. Thank you really significantly for the helpful and detailed posts. Will likely be coming back soon.
Fantastic, simply just excellent! Really good to view reports of which cause you to feel alive. It is a shame do not acquire more of these. This kind of built my personal heart and soul pleased……….
Thanks because of this! I’ve been searching all above the web for that facts.
I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
Hello, thank you for your share. i cant find your twitter account on site, can you please share, i want became your follower in twitter.
I got what you mean , saved to fav, very decent internet site .
How did you make this website? This look incredible and are so well set up, I attempted personally several times however i didn’t have any success doing it, is it a style for term push you’re utilizing? Please tell us we wish to get a nice website too!