The 2011-2012 California State University (CSU) system application is open. You have been now and November 30 to submit your application. Go to http://www.csumentor.edu/AdmissionApp/
Remember, this is a tough year for CSU admissions. More students than ever are applying, the November 30 application deadline for freshmen and transfers is fixed, and you need to make sure your application is correct and complete.
Here are 15 tips for completing the 2011-2012 application system for the Cal State’s 23 campuses.
- Have a working email address: Create an email address if you don’t have one. Gmail and hotmail are free and easy to use. Your high school may provide you with an email as well. The CSU campuses will only communicate with you via email and will send your user name and password once your register for CSU Mentor. Check your email regularly or you will miss key deadlines about placement tests, accepting admissions, housing, and more.
- Collect high school and college transcripts: Get a copy of your high school and/or college transcripts. Make sure they are correct. You need the transcript(s) to complete the CSU application. It takes patience to enter your grades but you do so by school attended and then subject area.
- Calculate CSU GPA: Calculate your 10th and 11th grade CSU GPA. Ask your counselor if you’re not sure. Add up your honors and AP classes taken in 9-12th grade. You need to input your CSU GPA and number of honors and AP classes onto the application.
- Calculate Eligibility: If you are a California resident and your CSU GPA is higher than a 3.0, you are eligible for admissions without the SAT or ACT for most campuses but still must submit your scores. Impacted colleges will use SAT or ACT scores as supplemental information to help make admissions decisions. You need to submit your test scores for placement purposes as well. If your GPA is below a 3.0, you need to submit SAT or ACT scores to determine your eligibility. You can take these tests through January. Here is the link to the eligibility page. http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/eligibility_index.asp
- Send test scores: All students need to send in SAT or ACT test scores. The Cal States will take tests taken through January 2011. SAT: Send your SAT scores to CSU Mentor and all CSU campuses to which you apply will receive your scores. If you are taking the tests later this fall, use CSU mentor as one of your four free score reports. ACT: Send your ACT scores to one CSU campus. Then go onto the CSU Mentor website and use the free ACT scores manager to send the rest of your ACT scores to additional CSU campuses. Additional campuses are free. Confused…get more info at the www.actstudent.org/scores/send/index.html. TOEFL and AP test scores must be sent directly to individual campuses.
- Find EAP score: If you took the EAP in 11th grade, find out your score as it can help you waive English placement requirements.
- Determine residency status: You need to know your residency status. Ask your parents or family members. You do not need a SSN number but you need to know how long you have been in the California as the CSU system calculates your tuition based on how long you have lived and attended school in California. Remember, AB 540 student can get admitted to the CSU system but you cannot qualify for a fee waiver or formal financial aid.
- Explore CSU mentor: Go to the CSU mentor site-csumentor.edu. Explore the great info on different CSU campuses, exploring majors, planning for college, and the application and financial aid process. It will show you each campus that has the majors that interest you. It has a great planner under Planning for College that you can show younger siblings and relatives. They can fill it out anytime and it will transfer right into their future applications whenever they are ready.
- Investigate impacted majors and programs: Many campuses have too many students in particular programs so you may need to find out which ones are limiting enrollment. Here is a link to the list of impacted programs by major and campus. www.actstudent.org/scores/send/index.html
- Gather financial information and plan to apply for fee waivers and EOP: Collect your family’s financial information. You will need your family’s income if want a fee waiver for the CSU applications and plan to apply for EOP, a great support program for low-income students.
- Plan to pay for the applications. Each CSU campus has a $55 application fee. If you qualify for a fee waiver, you can apply to four campuses for free. AB540 students do not qualify for fee waivers. Applicants pay by credit card or check.
12. Plan to fill out your EOP application. The 2011-2012 EOP application is online now. You need complete one application but each campus has different deadlines. Here is more info about qualifying http://www.csumentor.edu/finaid/steps/eop.aspYou need to
- provide your family’s financial information
- submit two recommendations using the EOP form. Recommenders can be counselors, teachers, employers, community members, and/or anyone other than a family member who know your potential to succeed in college.
- write several short responses to these questions using several complete sentences for each question.
- List any volunteer, extracurricular activities, or work experience in which you are or have been involved in the past two years.
- Why would you like to attend college? Discuss your career and personal goals. Are there any particular circumstances, school experiences, or persons that influenced your preparation or motivation to attend college (e.g., cultural/financial background, family, teachers, schools you attended)? Please explain.
- Briefly discuss your academic background. Did you utilize any additional support at your high school, such as tutoring? Do your grades in high school and/or college reflect your academic ability or potential?
- Briefly describe your family’s economic background. Include information about your financial challenges.
- Please tell us more about yourself. Is there any additional information you would like EOP to consider in determining your admission to the program?
13. Begin applying for scholarships now. It is not too early to apply for scholarships. Below are some links to scholarships sites:
- § Latino College Dollars: http://www.latinocollegedollars.org/
- § Black College Dollars: http://www.thesalliemaefund.org/smfnew/scholarship_directory/index.html
- § Hispanic Scholarship Fund: http://www.hsf.net/
- § Maldef Scholarship List…includes scholarships for AB540 students and all Latino students: http://maldef.org/leadership/scholarships/2010_Scholarship_List.pdf
- § The Asian and Pacific Islander Scholarship Fund: http://www.apiasf.org/
- § College Scholarships with information for athletes and minorities (by ethnicity). http://www.collegescholarships.org/
- § Fastweb is for all around scholarship information: http://www.fastweb.com/
14. Begin to prepare to apply for financial aid. Applying for financial aid is mandatory if you cannot afford to pay for college. The process is safe and confidential. The CSU Mentor website has great information about financial aid and can ever help you begin to calculate different costs and ways to pay for college. http://www.csumentor.edu/FinAid/.
15. Start talking to your family now about letting you to a four year college. The Cal States offer a great four year education. Financial Aid covers so much that attending a CSU can be as affordable as a community college. Sometimes the best CSU campuses may be a few hours away from your house. Start talking to your family now about letting you go away and help them understand the benefits of a four year education. If you need help with speaking with your family members–in any language-let us know.
Normally I do not make comments on blogs, but I have to mention that this post really forced me to do so. Really marvelous post.
Your post is really wonderful..thanks for posting…your post is very informative
Seeing that i have been exploring for a time for a sensible view relating to this area . Checking in Bing I ultimately observed this blog. Reading this information I’m just thrilled to enunciate that I have a great impression I discovered just what I wanted. I’ll make sure to don’t forget this blog and visit constantly.
Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your posts. Don’t have much to add, cheers!
Pretty piece of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in addition wanted to proclaim that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed in addition to I hope you article back again in a little while.
You made some Good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree.
This was truely helpful, I appreciate it
Nice to be stumbling up to your site again, it has been weeks for me. Well this is the article that i’ve been searching for so long. I can use this article to end my paper in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, fantastic share.
Hello, great job! I did not expect this on Wednesday. This is agreat post. Thanks!
Thank you very much for that good blog post.
I agree it is very well done. Glad you found it useful.
Appreciate it for write about really excellent informations. Your net is perfect, I am impressed by the details which you have on this blog. It shows how well you realize this subject. Bookmarked this page, will arrive again for much more. You, my companion, I identified just the material I by now looked for all over the place and just couldn’t identify. What a perfect webpage. Like this web site your internet site is 1 of my new faves.I such as this information proven and it has given me some sort of motivation to possess success for some explanation, so retain up the beneficial work!
Awesome blog post. I truly enjoy comprehending other information. Thanks!.
Hi, I applaud your blog for informing people, very interesting article, keep up it coming
I really enjoy the information on this blog. I came across it while searching on Yahoo
Thx for this information. Keep up the good work. I will be coming back lots.
I like this article… My First time to your website. It seems like you know your info. Thanks for sharing. I will revisit this site. I am very intrigued by the US financial aid situation. I know that the US budget is vastly improving. I guess we will soon find out!! Take care..
There are many college scholarships for adopted students that can be used to help pay off the remaining college costs students may have.Get more from :http://www.freestudentscholarship.com/,check it pls.
Howdy! I am a huge fan of your blog, I have been checking it out for a few months, but forget to check back in some times. I really don’t have anything to add, but I wanted to say thank you for making this wonderful website!
Hi! Appreciate the nice blog. Keep it up! 🙂
Thank you for the entry. I almost passed your site up in Ask but now I’m glad I clicked the link and got to read through it. I’m definitely better informed now. I know quite a few people that will want to check it out. They’ll get a kick out of what I just read too. LOL. –Breezy
Dreamin. I love blogging. You all express your feelings the right way, because they are your feeling, focus on your blog it is great.
Definitely exciting thought for me . Will you posting some more ? coz i need to abide by ur twitter or facebook
Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is great blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.Regards .
I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks
Super idea of art. I’m from Denmark I read many arts about it. I wondered idea of article is quite best and impresive to think about this art and future. Kind regards from France.
Yo. Actually wanted to place a swift note and enquire exactly where you bought your site layout I will be beginning own wordpress blog and sincerely really like your personal template.
After exploring a few of the weblog posts in your site today, and that i actually such as your method regarding writing a blog. We book marked this to be able to my personal take a note of web site record and may also end up being looking at again soon. Pls attempt this site while efficiently along with let me know what you consider.
Congrats, I recently stumbled your web site along with desired to claim that I have truly appreciated exploring your blog post blogposts. We have subscribed to your give food to and I we do hope you compose again immediately!
It’s hard to find knowledgeable people about this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own web site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.
Good info. Lucky me I ran across your site by accident (stumbleupon). I’ve book marked it for later!
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I genuinely feel strongly about it and really like learning extra on this topic. If attainable, as you attain experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with additional data? It truly is extremely valuable for me.