The University of California received a record number of applications this year. Each campus admits its own class and notifies students separately. Here are the dates for the students planning to enter as freshmen and transfers for the fall of 2013. We follow with info on the complex waitlist and appeal processes.
A few UC campuses already have started sending out freshman admission decisions on a rolling basis, with other campuses soon to follow. Below is a list of admissions decision release dates by campus for both freshmen and transfers. Please note that these dates may be subject to change:
Berkeley 3/28 4/26
Davis 3/15 4/19
Irvine first week Feb. rolling first week March rolling
Los Angeles 3/22 4/19
Merced 2/15 rolling 3/01 rolling
Riverside 2/01 rolling 3/01 rolling
San Diego 3/16 3/16 rolling
Santa Barbara 3/19 3/19 rolling
Santa Cruz 3/15 3/17 rolling
All campuses, except Merced and possibly Berkeley, will use waitlists for their freshman pools. Davis, Irvine and San Diego will have a transfer waitlist, and Riverside will have a transfer waitlist for a small population of applicants. Santa Barbara is considering the option for transfers.
What students need to know:
• They might receive waitlist offers from more than one campus. Students can be on more than one waitlist, but they will only be allowed to accept one offer for admission. Waitlist offers will be made by the end of March for freshman applicants and the end of April for transfers.
• Once offered a spot on a waitlist, students must opt in by the stated deadline. Instructions for doing so will be included with the waitlist notification.
o Freshman applicants:
• Waitlist offers will be made by the end of March.
• The waitlist opt-in deadline is April 15 (for all participating campuses).
• Waitlist notification status will be made no later than June 1.
• Waitlist offers will be made by the end of April.
• The waitlist opt-in deadline is May 15 (for the participating campuses: Davis, Irvine and San Diego) .
• Waitlist notification status will be made no later than July 1.
• UC campuses strictly adhere to all stated deadlines.
• Even if they accept a waitlist offer at a UC campus (or several), students should submit a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) by the stated deadline to a UC campus, or other institution to which they have been accepted, to ensure they have a place to attend in the fall. If they later accept an offer of admission from a UC campus where they have been waitlisted, they will forfeit their deposit at the first campus and must submit an additional SIR and enrollment deposit.
• UC Santa Barbara will send preliminary financial aid awards to students who opt in to the waitlist. UCLA and UC San Diego will provide financial aid awards once students are admitted from the waitlist. For all other campuses, preliminary awards will be sent at the time students are notified of waitlist offers.
• SIRs of waitlisted students will be considered on time for purposes of housing and orientation, provided they are submitted by the deadline stated in the offer of admission.
• California applicants who are guaranteed admission through ELC or the statewide admission index, and don’t receive an admission offer from any campus to which they applied, will be in the referral pool even if they are on the waitlist at another campus.
• Campuses will still consider appeals received by the deadlines specified below. Applicants who feel they have grounds for an appeal should submit one, but they should keep in mind that the purpose of the appeal process is to address compelling new information or correct a possible oversight in the initial review. Students cannot appeal for a spot on the waitlist.
o Freshman appeal deadline: April 15 (March 29 for Santa Cruz)
o Transfer appeal deadline: May 15 (before May 15 for Santa Cruz)